Monday, May 21, 2012

17: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson


My first venture into the writing of Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker is a great novel. I love Sanderson's writing style, and I will definitely be reading more of his work in the future. I can see why he was chosen to continue Robert Jordan's unfinished series. Speaking of, for any Wheel of Time readers out there who have yet to reach his contribution to the series, I give a full vote of confidence that it's going to be awesome. For the WoT readers who have read his addition, feel free to let me know in the comments what you thought. I need to finish that series one of these days...

But back to the book. Sanderson created a completely new world in this novel, which isn't the easiest thing to do if you've read much fantasy. Sanderson nails it. When I first read the description of this book, I admit I was a bit hesitant. It just sounded kind of weird and a little too far-fetched. I mean, yeah, most fantasy worlds are going to be far-fetched, but this one seemed pretty out there. Fortunately, Sanderson is amazing and pulled it off.

Here is a brief sneak peak, from Goodreads:

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn’t like his job, and the immortal who’s still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago.
Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren’s capital city and where a power known as BioChromatic magic is based on an essence known as breaththat can only be collected one unit at a time from individual people.
By using breath and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker. 

Right? Yeah. The description didn't immediately grab me. But once I started reading, it didn't take long at all for me to get sucked in. The chapters rotate perspectives and I think I was most engaged in Siri's life, though Lightsong comes in a close second. Once you near the end and get close to the resolution of everything, it really gets exciting. I don't want to say too much. Just read it. A resounding four stars.

2 comments:

  1. I've read all of the WofT books, including the Brandon Sanderson collaboration (still awaiting the last installment!).

    In general, I think Sanderson has done a great job. While of course his personal writing style is different, I think he's stayed more or less true to the heart of the world Robert Jordan created. His depictions of female characters are an improvement in general over Robert Jordan, in my opinion. I think the only character he doesn't nail is Mat, whose internal monologue in The Gathering Storms seems like a totally different character altogether. Mat's already not my favorite from the series, and I like this new Mat even less.

    Anyway, I've never read any of Brandon Sanderson's solo stuff, but have heard ravings from multiple sources. By the way, how many stars would you assign to this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I really need to get back to WoT. I think I stopped on #10... or was it 9? Hm. Yeah. It's been a while.

    Oh, and the very last line in my review gives it 4 stars.

    ReplyDelete