Thursday, January 12, 2012

Outlander: Scots, Sex and Sutures

4 Stars

Outlander was...breathtaking. Despite its length, it was a breeze to read. But how do I describe it? I don't want to just call it a romance because that word has certain literary baggage. It was not corny or contrived or full of gratuitous sex, but yes, I suppose it was at its core a romance novel.

Claire is a WWII nurse from 1945 who accidentally steps back in time to 1743 Scotland. Other than this element, the book strives for realism. This realism creates some incredibly difficult/heartwrenching/violent reading material which Diana Gabaldon mercifully intersperses throughout the book to give you enough time to recover. Until the end. That's why I read 200 pages last night.

But as a whole, the book left me swooning and romantic and desperately wanting to snuggle my own red bearded husband. I fell in love with the characters--everyone from Claire, with her badass medical skills, intelligence, and fiestiness to the rowdy, bawdy group of clansman that provide much of the book's comic relief. Not to mention the romantic interest. Oh damn.

Though mostly driven by the developing romance, there's also a wonderful mess of political intrigue overriding the plot. With a full 850 pages, you can do a lot in one book. It was hilarious at times, I felt as if I were just one of the guys on a wild romp through Scotland full of adventure and derring-do. Other times it was a social commentary. At others it was a startling contrast between modern life, modern marriage, modern medicine and 1740s Scotland.

I highly recommend this book, but with a few cautions. It's definitely rated R for violence and sex. The violence was very personal. It wasn't distant war scenes, it was torture and rape. There were many times I just read with my mouth agape--not sure I wanted to continue. Though the sex in this book is frequent, it is not gratuitous, it's always advancing the plot in some way. If you ever want to read a well written sex scene that isn't full of "trembling member" this and "aching bosoms" that, the author does an incredibly accurate, generally tasteful job of describing pure intimacy. Again and again. ;)

My other caution is the writing is incredibly detailed, which made it start a little slow. It took slightly more than the 100 pages I typically allot to get really "in" to the plot. But once I was "in" I couldn't put it down.

If you DO read this book, we have to discuss it. There are parts that I'm still questioning. And I love a book that can do that to me.

Info:
Title: Outlander
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Published: 1992
850 pages (paperback version)

1 comment:

  1. I've read this! I bought it on my Nook (I think it was last year). I agree with your assessments for the most part-- and I've been undecided about whether I want to continue reading the series. Mainly because they are so dang long, and the violence was a bit much for me, if I'm being honest. If you read the next one, let me know how you like it for sure.

    ReplyDelete