Friday, June 22, 2012

My Antonia

Book #25
My Antonia
Willa Cather
Four Stars

This is a book I have had on my to-read list for a long time. Like, since I was in junior high and saw my sister reading it. I had no idea what it was about but I thought the title was neat and I was intrigued. And it took me this long to finally read it.

If you aren't familiar, the novel is set up as a memoir written by a character named Jim Burden, reminiscing about his childhood and adolescence with a friend of his, an immigrant named Antonia Shimerda. Though Jim is several years younger than Antonia, they become fast friends, and he eventually falls in love with her.

Antonia's life is rough, to put it lightly. Hit with tragedy at a young age, she is also no stranger to hard labor. Nevertheless, Antonia is resilient and determined, and she goes through life with her head solidly on her shoulders. Even as a young adult, it seems she cannot escape the trials that dog her, but she makes a life out of what she is given and, though it's not glamorous or worldly, her life is solid and true. The description of her as a middle-aged mother (of many) at the end of the book was beautiful.

Cather grew up in the midwest herself, and it shows. Her writing, especially the descriptions of the land and the changing seasons, is marvelous. I felt like I could see what she was describing.

I loved reading this account of America during a different time. The characters were wonderful, the writing was simple but beautiful, and the story was deep and meaningful. I admit that it took me a while to finish it. It was not the most exciting book I've read, and I started a few other books that were a bit more gripping. But I kept coming back to this one, because the story had drawn me in. I wanted to know how it would end. I give it four stars and would highly recommend it.


2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to re-read this for ages. I think I would appreciate it more this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably time for a re-read for me as well. I remember liking the book, but I don't remember a thing about the actual contents except the story of the wolves.

    ReplyDelete