Friday, June 15, 2012

#23: Running for the Hills

Running for the Hills: Growing Up on My Mother's Sheep Farm in Wales
Horatio Clare
Rating: 3 stars

This is a memoir written by a man who grew up with only his mother and one brother on a sheep farm in rural Wales. And we're talking REMOTE, here. Out there. In the boonies.

Here's a brief sketch. Horatio Clare was born in 1973, in London. Before he was born, his parents met in London and got married. His mother, Jenny, got the wild desire to buy a farm out in the country and live there. His father desperately loved Jenny, and so went along with this scheme, doing everything in his power to make it work.

For quite a while, they still lived in London and only went up to the farm on the weekends. They slowly got to know their neighbors, some of them hilarious characters. They learned how to care for sheep, and this book spares no details. The beautiful landscape bewitched them all, and Clare's descriptions don't disappoint. He is a very gifted writer.

Ultimately, when the farm began hemorrhaging money and the Clares would not be able to sustain it without going into even more debt, Horatio's father tried to convince Jenny to leave the farm. She flat out refused. She chose the farm over her husband, and a life as a single mother over life as a family. This split took place when Horatio was still very young, and the memoir is laced with his regret and longing for the childhood with a father that he did not get to have.

How did I like this book? Well, the writing is Grade A, Top Choice. I love Horatio's words. I fell in love with the little sheep farm, the crotchety old neighbor Jack who really has a soft heart, the family's two dogs. It was an enchanting story to read.

But. Jenny's decision angered me. Jenny, for me, was not a sympathetic character in the least. I spent a lot of my reading wondering how she could be so selfish. Yes, I can understand to a certain extent her desire to raise her boys out of the world, on this remote sheep farm. I can admire her strength and tenacity. I really do think she did some incredible things. She learned sheep farming from scratch and really grew to love the animals as her own.

But to refuse to see reality, to let your husband walk away after he tries everything to keep your family together! And then to raise your boys to believe that he just up and left you. To tell them that he was selfish. My, my, my.

Above and beyond that, by staying on the farm, Jenny put herself and her two small children at great risk. The book doesn't try to sugarcoat things. Horatio and his brother Alexander were often underfed. There were many months when the money almost didn't or didn't make ends meet.

A single female in a rural area is very vulnerable, however strong she may be in other areas of life. More than once, Jenny was cornered and propositioned by a lonely/widowed farmer. It wouldn't have taken much for one of them to refuse to take her 'no' for an answer. She would have been powerless to stop him.

Furthermore, rambling around, over the hills at night during birthing time for the sheep had dangers all unique.  Had something happened to Jenny while her two young boys slept alone in their little shack, who's to say how they would have gotten help.

Add to that Jenny's affair with the husband of a friend towards the end of the book and you have a real winning mother figure.

Rant over.

If I can set aside my frustration with Jenny-- after all, this is a review of the book, and shouldn't be a review of Jenny's decision-making ability-- I really enjoyed this book. The story drew me in and I wanted to know what would happen to the Clares. As I mentioned, Horatio's writing is splendid. I have recommended this book to my own parents, mainly because I think my dad would love the writing and the descriptions of Wales, and my mom was raised on a sheep farm herself. If you think the story sounds interesting, by all means read it. You will likely not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment