Tuesday, November 6, 2012

40, 41, and 42

Book 40: Son by Lois Lowry

The final installment in The Giver saga. I have to say this is my favorite of the last three. It was very well written and engaging. I can't say much about the plot because I wouldn't have wanted to know anything before I read it, so I will only give you bare bones. The story focuses on a girl named Claire, who is a contemporary of Jonas in the setting of The Giver. The book is divided into three parts. The first part is set in the community Jonas and Claire spent part of their childhood in. The second part is in an entirely new community. And the third part returns us to the setting of the community that was introduced in Messenger. There are a few inconsistencies in this book (meaning details given that differ from details given in one or more of the preceding books), which I noted but was not extremely bothered by. All in all, nicely done, Lois. I highly recommend this book and give it four stars. Also, after reading this one, I am kind of tempted to reduce my rating of the other three books to 3.5 or 3 stars. This one was just that much better, in my opinion.

Book 41: Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Let me just say that I forgot, repeatedly, that this was not a memoir. After I read the blurb about Jean Kwok on the back of the book, including that she immigrated to the US, lived in Brooklyn, worked in a sweatshop, etc., I somehow decided that she had decided to write her own story. So, it reads like a memoir or autobio, in other words, but is, in fact, a novel. I liked the writing style, but...

it was also a double edged sword for me. See, I was fascinated by Kimberly's stories. And I'm sure quite a few of them were taken from Jean's own childhood/adolescence. But I want to know what was true and what was made up for the book. I am kind of driven crazy by not knowing.

I give this book three stars. I really liked it and was able to finish it pretty quickly. I was disappointed with how Kwok chose to wrap up the story in the epilogue. The choices the protagonist made there seemed very out of character and kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. But all in all, it was a very enjoyable read. I'd especially recommend it to readers who enjoy the stories of immigrants and/or foreigners experiencing America for the first time.

Book 42: re-read of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Loved it. What can I say? I am a huge HP nerd. I have never loved a YA series as much as I love this one, and I don't think it's premature to say I never will. This book is the start of the giant installments. Books 1-3 are seriously puny compared to books 4-7. This book is also where it really starts to get emotional for me. Seeing Cedric die, watching Voldemort return, noticing the beginning of the tension between Hermione and Ron, Harry giving his bag of 1,000 galleons to Fred and George... man, it gets me every time. :) 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment