Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Reflections on a Re-Read

In preparation for the film, I purchased and re-read The Hunger Games this past week, making it my eleventh read of 2012. As I'm pretty certain none of the contributors (or readers) of this blog have not read this one, I don't plan on giving it a full review.

I did want to share some of my thoughts after re-reading it, though. First, I actually enjoyed it even more this time, which surprised me. Maybe I read it way too fast the first time-- yeah, that's probably it. I took my time this go round, letting things sink in a bit more, which was really great. I still got just as drawn into the story. Collins did a phenomenal job, y'all. Some of the more emotional parts really got to me.

{Speaking of that, I am very curious how the adaptation will treat certain scenes. Definitely nervous-- I don't want to be disappointed. That said, I am not the type who gets super angry when a book-to-film adaptation diverges from the book. Seriously, folks, they are two completely different mediums. They're not perfectly transferable. I like to go into the movie with the expectation that it'll be good, but I don't hold out hope that they'll get every single scene or my favorite part ever just right. Meaning, of course, exactly how I see it in my head. Yeah. It's just not going to happen. Anyhow. I try to be cautiously optimistic. In this case, I think I may have exceeded that, mainly because every time I watch the trailer-- and see Prim get taken away and then Katniss burst through and yell, "I volunteer as tribute!"-- I tear up.}

But back to the BOOK. Right. My only other reflection is the one thing that left me kind of unsatisfied. And that is the way Katniss seems utterly unable or unwilling to see the reality of Peeta's feelings for her during the Games. Her internal monologue throughout that time was maddening to me, when she'd go along thinking "Hm, I wonder why Peeta is doing all the stuff. Surely it's not because he actually likes me!" over and over. It didn't seem very realistic. I was able to get more into why she had to pretend to be in love with him, and Haymitch's role in leading her to put on the act, but I guess I think I'd rather have had her just accept Peeta's feelings. I don't think a girl in her situation would really have been that oblivious to it the whole time. Such a small thing, but it's what I kept thinking throughout the second half of the book.

I love this book. I'm sure I'll re-read it many times in the future. Here's to the movie in 17 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment